The first buildings were erected in 1638 as a result of a bequest by Hugh Perry, with accommodation for six poor men and six poor women.
The building has six gables facing the street and a central domed wooden cupola.
At the foot of the hill there is a thriving trout farm.
Hillesley is a charmingly situated small village, two miles south of Wotton-under-Edge.
The Town Hall was originally built as a market house in the middle of the Stony Chipping in 1698-1700, of classical proportions, rising on fifteen Doric stone columns, which can still be seen, providing a covered open market at ground level with a large room above like the similar ones in Tetbury and Dursley.
The second row of almshouses was founded by Miss Ann Bearpacker in 1837.Later he emigrated to Prince Edward Island in Canada, becoming a shipbuilder and founding the White Star Shipping Line (named after his father's inn in Wotton) which in due course owned the ill-fated Titanic.The open area in front of the Star and the Town Hall is what remains of the Stone or Stony Chipping (distinct from the Green Chipping which is now simply called the Chipping) and was where the market was held.The Rowland Hill Almshouses, with their wooden verandas, founded in 1887 in memory of the Rev.Rowland Hill, may be seen just below the Tabernacle in Tabernacle Pitch at the top of Old Town. It possesses a Cotswold stone tiled roof, capped by a fine bell turret and a dragon weather vane.